if your business sells products or engages in activities that may be subject to excise taxes, here ‘s information to help you know when and how to pay and report these taxes .
- Excise taxes are imposed on certain products, services, and activities like cigarettes, gasoline, and gambling.
- The federal government, states, cities, and towns all can set the items subject to excise taxes and tax rates.
- Businesses must collect these taxes from payees and keep records of these payments.
- Federal excise taxes must be reported and paid quarterly.
What Is an excise tax ?
excise taxes have been imposed on specific goods and activities in the U.S. since the whiskey tax in 1791. Some are “ sin taxes ” that aim to control the use of certain products like cigarettes and sports betting. Others are akin to user taxes imposed on goods like motive fuels, in which drivers pay a price for contributing to dealings congestion and the necessitate for road repairs .
Businesses must pay union strike taxes on many products, services, and activities, including :
- Airline tickets and air cargo shipping
- Alternative fuel mixtures
- Environmental products such as domestic petroleum oil spills and ozone-depleting chemicals
- Communications taxes on local phone services
- Fuels used in business, including gasoline, diesel, kerosene, and ethanol
- Purchase of trucks, trailers, and semi-trailers (at a percentage of the sales price on the first retail sale)
- Ship passenger tax (per passenger)
- Manufacturers’ taxes on coal, taxable tires, gas guzzlers, etc.
- Foreign insurance taxes
- Sport fishing equipment, fishing rods, poles, outboard motors, etc.
- Floor stocks tax on ozone-depleting chemical
- Vaccines including those for influenza
In most cases, your occupation is creditworthy for collecting these taxes and passing on the collect taxes to the IRS .
state and City Excise Taxes
many states impose strike taxes on different goods and services. here are some celebrated examples :
- Many states and localities use car rental excise taxes to raise revenue, while some states also allow localities to add a rental car tax.
- Several states have imposed excise taxes on recreational marijuana to compete with illicit operators.
- Over half of U.S. states impose excise taxes on vaping products.
- No states have imposed excise taxes on sugar-sweetened beverages, but several localities have. Philadelphia, for example, has a tax of 1.5 cents per ounce.
- Georgia has excise taxes on malt beverages, wines, distilled spirits, cigarettes, cigars, little cigars, and loose or smokeless tobacco.
- Atlanta has excise taxes on hotel/motel stays and car rentals.
- The Oneida Indian Tribe in New York has an excise tag on cigarette sales to non-Indians.
To find out what products, services, and activities are subject in your state, see this number of country tax agencies from the Federation of Tax Administrators. For local excise taxes, search for your vicinity ‘s web site and look for the “ tax ” or “ gross ” department.
How to Report, Pay, and File Federal Excise Taxes
form 720, the Quarterly Federal Excise Tax Return, is used to report on federal strike taxes collected by the business for a assortment of products and services .
shape 720 includes several pages of excise taxes that your occupation might have to pay and the pace .
Paying quarterly excise Taxes
Filing besides means paying. Part III of the form requires you to :
- Total the tax due
- Total the deposits you made during the quarter
- Total any overpayment from previous quarters
- Calculate the total balance due
Read more: Instant payments: get fast money transfers
You ‘ll need to pay any proportion due when you file the shape .
Filing Form 720
You must file Form 720 quarterly, within one calendar month after the goal of each draw, for all the excise taxes you collected during the quarter :
- Quarter-end March: File by April 30
- Quarter-end June: July 31
- Quarter-end Sept: Oct 31
- Quarter-end December: January 31
If the due date is a weekend or vacation, the class is due the next business sidereal day .
You can e-file Form 720 and submit your payment using the IRS Electronic Funds Tax requital System ( EFTPS ) system or send it in by mail. Read the Instructions for Form 720 for more information .
strike Taxes as a Trust Fund Tax
excise taxes are a trust fund tax, meaning that they are collected by the occupation and hold in entrust, then paid to the IRS at specific times. even if you forgot to collect the tax from your customers, you must even pay it to the IRS or your express or vicinity .
The IRS imposes a entrust fund convalescence penalty on amateur federal excise taxes your caller owes, for the full sum of the unpaid tax. This penalty can be imposed individually on creditworthy persons, not precisely on the company, if the person acted willfully in not paying the tax. A responsible party can be a occupation owner, an employee, an accountant, or person who has the assurance to spend occupation funds .
frequently Asked Questions ( FAQs )
How are strike taxes different from sales taxes ?
While both sales taxes and excise taxes are used to raise tax income, they differ in several other ways. Sales taxes are more general, coverinng a broad range of products and services that consumers and businesses buy every day. The only items normally exempt from sales taxes are “ essentials, ” like groceries, rip, medicine, and utilities .
excise taxes, on the other hand, are for a limited count of items and more specific purposes. Gasoline excise taxes, for model, are often used for road repairs .
How are excise taxes calculated ?
excise taxes have three components :
- The tax base, meaning the qualifications for the item being taxed
- The rate
- The specific measure, like price or weight
Federal excise taxes for tobacco products are based on the character of intersection ( per 1,000 ) and unlike rates for each. For example, cigarettes are taxed at $ 50.33 per thousand .
The union excise tax pace on sports wagering is 0.25 % of the sum wagered for wagers authorized by the express and 2 % of the amount wagered if not authorized by the state .
The strike tax for tanning salons is 10 % on tanning services that do not involve “ phototherapy. ” In summation, no tax is levied on spray tans .
Read more: A step-by-step guide to identity theft
recreational cannabis is taxed based on the price, weight, or authority of the content at the rate used by each department of state imposing the tax .
excise taxes on lease cars may be a flat-dollar surcharge or a share of the price of the rental .