How to Dispute Information On Your Credit Reports | Equifax®

Reading fourth dimension : 4 minutes

  • Regularly checking your credit reports can help ensure information is accurate and complete
  • If you believe information on your credit reports is inaccurate or incomplete, contact the lender
  • You can also file a free dispute with the three nationwide credit bureaus

When reviewing your credit reports, it ’ second important to make certain all of the information is complete and accurate. This includes everything from the history data to the other personal data that ’ s on your credit report such as your home address, name, and Social Security count .
By law, recognition agency and the lenders and creditors that report information to them are both creditworthy for correcting inaccurate or incomplete information on your credit rating report.

here are some steps you can take to address information you believe is inaccurate or incomplete :

  1. Get in the habit of regularly checking your credit reports from the three nationwide credit bureaus. You’re entitled to a free copy of your credit report from each of the three nationwide credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian and TransUnion) every 12 months by visiting You can also create a myEquifax account to get six free Equifax credit reports per year. Once you’ve created an account, you can click on “Get my free credit score” on your myEquifax dashboard and enroll in Equifax Core Credit™ to get a free monthly Equifax credit report and a free monthly VantageScore credit score, based on Equifax data. A VantageScore is one of many types of credit scores.
  2. If you find information you believe is inaccurate or incomplete on one of your credit reports, check your credit reports from the other two nationwide credit bureaus to see if the inaccurate or incomplete information appears there as well. Not all creditors report to all three bureaus. Some may report to only one, two – or none at all.
  3. If you see account-related information that’s incomplete or inaccurate, consider contacting the lender first. You may be able to straighten out the matter with the company itself, and the company will report the updated information to the credit bureaus. Lenders and creditors reporting inaccurate or incomplete information are responsible for updating it with each bureau they report to.
  4. File a dispute for free with the three nationwide credit bureaus. It’s important to remember that disputing information with one credit bureau may not impact information on credit reports from the other two bureaus. Also, dispute procedures may not be the same at all bureaus, so be sure to follow the procedure with the bureau where you’re filing a dispute. You can file a dispute with each of the three nationwide credit bureaus online. At Equifax, you can create a myEquifax account to file a dispute. 

• Equifax quarrel site
• Experian quarrel site
• TransUnion dispute site
What information can I dispute on my credit reports?

You can dispute any of the follow :
Personal information: Your name, addresses, Social Security number or date of give birth.
Account information you believe is inaccurate or incomplete: For example, if deep payments are being reported on one of your accounts but you have always paid your balance on time and in wax.
Mixed credit files: If person else ‘s information is being reported on your credit file. This may happen if a father and son ( Sr. and Jr. ) have the lapp name, for exemplify.
Duplicate reporting of an item: One case might be a debt listed doubly.
Information that may indicate fraud or identity theft : These would be credit accounts, including solicitation accounts, on your credit report card that you do n’t recognize .
Whether you ’ re contacting a lender or the credit agency, provide all the testify and documents you can to support your quarrel, such as an account statement verifying an account proportion. Give details about why you believe the information in the citation report is inaccurate or incomplete.

What should I expect after filing a dispute?
If you file a challenge with the three nationally credit chest of drawers, you can generally expect to receive the results of your dispute within 30 days. If the data is found to be inaccurate, your credit reports will be updated, broadly within about 30 days .
If the consequence of the investigation finds that the information is accurate, it will remain on your recognition reports. If you still believe the information is inaccurate or incomplete, and you have extra information that can help support your challenge, you can file your dispute again with the accredit chest of drawers. You besides have the choice to provide a brief statement on your recognition reports summarizing your challenge, which can help explain your situation. Or you could contact the creditor to attempt to resolve the publish .

Related Posts