If you do n’t have your own POS system however, it ‘s high clock to amend the site and buy, rend, or build the best point-of-sale solution. not certain where to start ? then carefully read our article, as we ‘re going to explain to you how to approach POS software development and choose hardware compatible with it .
What is a POS system?
Let ‘s start our conversation by deciphering the POS abbreviation. What does it mean ?
so, POS stands for ‘ Point of Sale ’ or ‘ Point of Service ’. More specifically, we ‘re talking about a complete sic of hardware and software, which undertaking is to automate processes in the sales and service provision areas.
POS solutions aim at simplifying the employment of service personnel ( and, consequently, speeding it up ). In short, employees in a store, restaurant, or another alike institution use these systems to constantly have everything at hand, which means they can fulfill their duties quickly, efficiently, and competently .
The main equipment components ofPOS systems
Any point-of-sale system consists of POS software installed on a computer, a special terminal, and diverse peripheral devices connected to it .
We think we have to list and describe these devices, correctly ? just keep in thinker, they may vary depending on the needs of your finical establishment .
- Fiscal registrar, that is, a check printer with a fiscal memory serve. The undertaking is clear from the mention itself : print cheques and versatile sorts of reporting documents, storing sales data, and so on ;
- POS monitor of service personnel, which displays significant data to the operator ( cashier in a supermarket, waiter in a cafe or administrator of a beauty salon ) ;
- POS keyboard: it ’ mho about data entrance and transmittance of control commands ( sometimes POS keyboard is besides equipped with built-in calling card readers ) ;
- Buyer ‘s screen, displaying data of matter to to the consumer ( say, the measure of money to pay ) ;
- Barcode scanner, which makes it possible to promptly read the product code and get basic data about it ;
- Cash box needed to store money safely ;
- A device to read bank cards, whose samara function is to organize the payment march with maximum comfort .
These are the main hardware components. But if you want to build a point-of-sale system working at a high level of efficiency, you may need early devices excessively ( but again, be guided by the specifics of your business and its finical requirements ) : electronic scales, tag printers, currency detectors, etc .
Where to usebusiness POS solutions?
sol, when should you make a POS system for your business ? Let ‘s take a closer count at a few basic examples :
- Grocery stores and hypermarkets. naturally, the effective process of a major supermarket is impossible without the presentation of point-of-sale technologies. however, even a belittled grocery store would benefit from these systems .
- Any other point of sale: hardware stores, appliance shops, and the like .
- Catering places. A restaurant point-of-sale system will speed up the procedure of receiving and transferring customer orders to the kitchen .
- Places where services are provided, be it a hotel, cinema, casino, beauty salon, etc .
Key functions ofPOS systems
What is a POS organization for, and what is it able to do ? What functions does it perform ?
- Identification of goods by barcode. The operator or cashier doesn ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate need to memorize the integral scope of goods the company sells. It ‘s adequate to scan the barcode of the intersection, and all the necessary data on it will be received and displayed mechanically .
- Management of discounts and organization of loyalty programs. Such an opportunity would besides come in handy, do you agree ?
- Automatic payments. It ‘s a very crucial routine of POS solutions, without which it ‘s impossible to imagine the oeuvre of a modern store, gas station, and other institutions of the sort .
- Controlling staff work. To start working with the system, an employee must be authorized, which means you can keep an eye on him .
- Formation of reports. Modern technologies help to collect statistics about your mental hospital and analyze the information received with the aim of creating detail reports on its basis. normally, there ‘re in-built, ready-made report templates, but you may customize your POS system according to your personal requirements .
- Simplified database management: the possibility to change information about the price of goods, the constitution of the smasher, and so on .
- Control of inventory balances. POS software stores the latest merchandise data ( we mean the automated recalculation of goods remaining in the warehouse or in the shop itself ). Thanks to this, sellers know if there is a motivation to order a particular product .
And that ‘s not all by any means ! point-of-sale systems focus on maximally facilitating the influence of your employees by automating his or her routine activities .
The emergence ofPOS solutions
POS solutions have come a long way from the simplest mechanical cash registers ( first half of the twentieth century ) to complex multifunctional systems .
Let ‘s break the history of development into stages and concisely examine each of them .
- It all started with two types of registrars : NCR registrars and Burroughs registrars. These were leverage-based cash registers, which recorded data in a particular journal. They were less than perfect and not very commodious to use .
- A little late, more advance recorders appeared ( such as the NCR Class 5 ). They were no long mechanical and powered by electricity .
- 1973 had been marked by the insertion of the first computer systems ( IBM 3653 Store System, NCR 2150, angstrom well as TRW, Regitel, Darachecker ) and the development of UPS / EAN barcode readers .
- Less than 10 years subsequently, in 1986, IBM released a POS-based personal computer called the IBM 4683. It was a significant accomplishment at the time .
- In the late 1980s, POS vendors learned to introduce magnetic stripe readers, which allowed consumers to make contactless payments .
modern point-of-sale systems include a lot of utilitarian addition modules targeted at customer interaction, stock management, payroll, and more. Software and hardware workplace closely together to help manage the business by rights .
Be certain to contact us if you need to develop a restaurant book and food regulate system .
We ‘ll discuss different ways to create POS software later, but correct now, we ‘d like to explore another issue, namely …
earlyPOS software formats
first electronic cash registers had integrated patent software, the functionality of which left much to be desired .
In the summer of 1973, IBM launched two special systems ( the IBM 3650 and 3660 Store System ) commercially using client-server, stand-in, local sphere network ( LAN ), and remote provisioning technologies. About a class later, these systems had been installed in Dillards and Pathmark stores in New Jersey .
A few more years passed, and in 1979 the owners of Gene Mosher ‘s Old Canal Cafe ( New York ) implemented a POS system with software developed by the celebrated Mosher. The organization was based on the Apple II and had useful features such as processing a customer arrange, transferring data to the kitchen, etc .
Since then, a batch of urine has passed under the bridge, and point-of-sale solutions have turned into multifunctional complex programs, thereby becoming true salvation for many businesses .
But if you do want to develop a POS system of your own, you must understand how it works. We ‘ll do our best to help you figure it out .
How doPOS systems work?
previously, sellers used to spend a draw of fourth dimension issuing purchases, calculating balances, and completing other routine operations ; fortunately, now the situation has greatly improved. The teller in the supermarket reads the intersection barcode using a special scanner, and the customer resorts to a bank terminal to pay for the purchase made ( naturally, there is besides an option to pay in cash ) : that ‘s all, the process has started. The rest happens mechanically, just a few clicks are required .
But what happens behind the scenes, indeed to speak ?
The above diagram clearly illustrates how business POS solutions work. Let ‘s explain it in words ( in general terms ) :
- Scanning the product barcode. The scanner reads the barcode of the product, and the data about it is being mechanically transferred to the cash record course of study : its price, markdown, possible discounts, etc. The plan determines which product should be issued, generates a sales arrest, and so on. The employee just needs to accept money from the node and give him the merchandise. And speak of money and payment…
- Payment. First, the customer swipes the card over the terminal ‘s lector. The circuit board data is being sent to the POS system, which contacts the PSP ( Payment Service Provider ). PSP reaches the savings bank to initiate the transaction mandate routine ( which bank depends on the type of credit menu ). The buyer is now prompted to enter a PIN to confirm the transaction. If everything goes well, the authority code is being sent to the POS arrangement, and the buyer is informed that the payment has been successful .
The POS platform automates and integrates front-office ( supermarket check, waiter ‘s terminal, etc. ) and back-office ( account, warehouse, HR and market department, establishment presidency, and the like ). Data switch over between these blocks goes on endlessly, normally via a mottle waiter .
By the by, a overcast server isn ’ t the alone manner to solve the problem … There are early options besides cloud-based POS solutions excessively .
On-Premise five .Cloud-based POS solutions
You have two basic options to choose from. Each of them has its pros and cons, and it ‘s up to you what to select in your particular case .
On-premise means using your own resources to host software, namely :
- you can purchase a forcible server and locate it within your administration ;
- if you do n’t like the above choice, you may rent a dedicated server in a datum center .
On-premise POS systems are considered more guarantee and protected because third parties do n’t have access to your corporate data. In accession, such a method to host software provides you with greater independence. You are your own master .
Locating servers on the premises of your own caller is a arduous and expensive task. You ‘ll have to allocate a significant budget for equipment maintenance and hire specialists able to ensure its dependability and trouble-free operation .
And even if you decide to rent a dedicated waiter to host your software, you ‘ll hush face certain difficulties. Among early things, you ‘ll have to fork out pretty much ( rental tip, as you see ) .
Forward-thinking entrepreneurs choose this particular mannequin when all internal data is stored and processed in the alleged ‘ cloud ” ( virtual waiter ). Such a virtual server operates in a circulate computer science environment and provides its services over the Internet .
Cloud-based POS solutions have many benefits, such as :
- good scalability ;
- requital on demand and after pitch ;
- stability in work ;
- access from any device anywhere in the earth .
The cloud waiter is provided by a third party and the client interacts entirely with its virtual separate, which reduces the data security, as some believe. however, with the good approach to information protection, the trouble can be easily solved .
According to forecasts, cloud-based systems will have led the global marketplace for POS by 2024 .
POS Software Features
Below, we provide a detail infographic to show you what features your point-of-sale system can not do without. In words, we ‘ll fair briefly describe its key running blocks :
- Inventory management. The 1st block will allow you to be always aware of the presence or absence of products in stock ;
- Payments. Comments are unnecessary, are n’t they ?
- Analytics & Reporting. You ‘ll be able to monitor the efficiency of your establishment .
- Loyalty policy so that your customers are constantly happy with your store or restaurant .
- Personnel Management, another compulsory running block of POS systems .
- Additional blocks ( see infographic below ) .
chiefbenefits of POS systems
Let ‘s talk about the benefits of POS systems for your business … merely in case we have n’t convinced you of the expedience of POS software development so far .
- Improving the speed of customer service. automation of processes allows you to serve customers in stores ( and visitors to cafes ) much faster, which means the queues will be reduced .
- Permanent remote business control. Business POS solutions provide real-time outback access to view any transactions and welcome reports. It implies complete control over all processes taking place in the sales area. The actions of cashiers ( and early employees ) are besides under command .
- Customer loyalty management. Consumers love all kinds of dismiss programs, coupons, and early promotions, and a modern point-of-sale system gives you the possibility to manage these marketing initiatives in a much easier way .
- Access to useful features. We ’ rhenium referring to such features as a simplified inventory process, less paperwork ; automatic report, control of inventory balances, and others .
- High work efficiency. Benefits of the POS solutions described above lead to greater efficiency of your employees and leave in an addition in income .
so, we figured out WHY you should build a point-of-sale system … and now it remains to see HOW to do it .
planck’s constantow to make your own POS system
Before you consider purchasing or creating a point-of-sale system, you have to answer a key question : what precisely does your business motivation ? What tasks should your point-of-sale platform solve ? There are many options, as you could have already understood if you ’ re reading our article carefully : writing-off of items in the warehouse, provision of discounts, report, and much, much more. And only after answering the above question, you can move on to the future one, namely…
Where should you get your point-of-sale system?
Any POS system consists of software and hardware. And if you think you can buy hardware beginning and then choose the properly software, we must warn you : this is a wholly wrong approach to the issue .
But do n’t you worry ! We ‘re here to explain to you what to do. Let ‘s start in ordain .
# 1. Buying a point-of-sale system
The foremost course of action is to buy ready-made and well-tested POS kit with the install software. You merely have to customize your POS system and plug the equipment into the release. That ‘s all !
- fast start. As we ’ ve already explained, it does n’t take a lot of feat on your partially to connect the equipment and start using it .
- ease of use. normally, such cliched POS systems are user-friendly and intuitive .
- Approved budget. You must allocate money good one time to buy the system, after which you ’ rhenium welcome to take full advantage of it .
- An inflexible solution. ready-made point-of-sale systems aren ’ t constantly flexible enough and require individual customization .
- Technology obsolescence. Any technologies become disused over time, and POS solutions are no exception. unfortunately, you ‘ll have to update your program yourself ( and, of naturally, it requires extra fiscal investments ) since there is no support … which is another disadvantage of these off-the-rack systems .
# 2 .POS software subscription
You have no desire or opportunity to invest a lot of money in purchasing a point-of-sale system ? then you may turn to experienced POS software providers and subscribe to their services. As a result, you ‘ll be able to use their solution on a regular basis ( with their full support, by the way ! ) .
As to hardware, providers normally tell you which brands their software is compatible with .
- Constant company support ( 24/7 ) .
- Fast start. You ‘ll be provided with aid with configure and starting the platform .
- Access to system updates ( which means you ‘d run no risk of the trouble of disused technologies ) .
- Security issue. You have no choice but trust entirely on the protective measures of the providers you ‘ve chosen .
- Monthly fee. You ‘ll have to pay a monthly fee to the providers to use their services and accompaniment .
Wondering how to build a food manner of speaking app like Postmates or Zomato ? Well, we have the answer you seek !
There ’ rhenium a huge number of ready-made point-of-sale solutions on the grocery store, angstrom well as their providers. however even the most popular POS software is sometimes ineffective to meet the needs of your detail establishment, be it a shopping promenade or a restaurant ( or something else ). And if it is the case, you ’ rhenium exit with the one and only way to act, namely …
fullPOS software development
then you ‘ve decided to develop a POS system from rub. What steps should you take ?
- form detailed requirements for the future organization ( based on the specifics of your company ) ;
- find and hire experienced developers skilled enough to make a POS system that meets these requirements ;
- make POS software ( and select compatible Point-of-Sale hardware ) .
- A alone solution, which fully meets your requirements ;
- continuous software advancements and release of utilitarian updates ;
- System tractability and project scaling with business emergence ;
- The most convenient UI and, consequently, the best UX ;
- System security ascribable to the fact your data won ’ metric ton be received by third base parties .
- The complexity of the project ( you can not cope with it yourself, without the aid of POS software developers ) ;
- long begin. If the prison term factor is critical, choose a different solution for your storehouse, smasher salon, or restaurant ;
- lack of support ( you ’ ll have to deal with the problems arising yourself ) ;
- significant fiscal development costs .
Although in the farseeing carry, the theme to develop a POS system from square one is adept and profitable .
Tips oncreating a point-of-sale system
What should be considered to make a POS system you ‘ve created successful and durable ? Let ’ s see !
- User-friendly interface. The tax of the UI is to help your ship’s company ‘s employees cursorily learn to work with the point-of-sale system. The initial familiarization with the broadcast should take no more than half an hour .
- The type of your establishment. When choosing a POS system, your type of occupation is besides important. Let ‘s say, a restaurant should pay especial attention to software, which must have certain features : a waiting tilt for payment, linking decree to a postpone, the possibility to add a node ‘s address to a check ( if rescue is planned ), etc. On the other pass, catering establishments do n’t need electronic scales, as opposed to retail stores .
- Good scalability. Keep in mind that your business may develop in the future, which should be taken into account when creating a point-of-sale system ( and you had better think over each detail at the design and design stages ) .
- Different access levels. Your system is going to be used by different employees : yourself, cashiers, salesperson, and so on. And it is inexpedient to provide everyone with wax access to confidential information. The best direction to approach the issue is to ensure dependable data storage with specify access rights .
- Offline mode. Make certain your plan is active even when there is no internet joining. Alas, it ‘s not uncommon to have problems with Wi-Fi, but they should n’t affect your business ‘s work flow .
- Third-party integrations. It ‘s besides helpful to provide the possibility to integrate your system with early third-party programs ( mobile commitment apps, payment solutions, etc. ) .
- Reliable performance in all conditions. And of course, it makes no smell to create POS software, if it ’ randomness unreliable and ineffective .
Trying to find qualified POS software developers ? then hire our team ! Agilie experts are highly skilled and would be felicitous to build a point-of-sale system for your company .