How to Start Selling on eBay
Choose and Source Products to Sell
Go to the top An crucial gene when you ’ re getting started is the decisiveness about what you ’ re going to sell. eBay allows you to sell a big excerpt of products, with the exception of anything on its list of prohibited and restricted items. So it ’ s up to you to narrow down your niche and estimate the profitableness of the products you intend to sell. here are some good ways to conduct product research :
- Use eBay Explore to discover popular and trending products
- Use Terapeak (another eBay tool) to get new product ideas, along with details such as average selling price, the total number of sellers, total sales, and more.
once you ’ ve shortlisted the items you ’ re going to be selling on eBay, you ’ ll need to plan how to source them. here are some top options :
many eBay sellers use this clientele exemplar, as it doesn ’ triiodothyronine require them to buy or maintain inventory – they merely list the products. then once an order is placed, the supplier ships the merchandise to the customer. If you plan to do the same, check out our list of the best dropshipping suppliers for more in-depth information .
Thrift Stores and Garage Sales
You can scout the garage sales and parsimony shops in your area to find products that you may be able to sell on at a higher price on eBay. Websites such as YardSales and Garage Sale Finder can help you discover when and where these events are taking invest .
Manufacturers and Wholesale Suppliers
In this source method acting, you ’ ll purchase products in bulk from a manufacturer or wholesale supplier. Websites such as Alibaba and AliExpress can help you find the right supplier for about any type of product – and at bargain-priced rates. Go to the top
Choose an eBay Account
Go to the top Selling on eBay starts with picking a type of account. Your options here boil down to a personal explanation and a business account. Both are free to create, although eBay will charge you a fee for listing and selling your products. A personal account is typically for casual selling, while a business report is for serious merchants looking to sell large quantities of products. With a commercial enterprise explanation, you can :
- Use your legal business name and customize your account to better align with your brand.
- Keep your business finances separate, making it easier to manage your accounting and taxes.
With all that in take care, we recommend choosing a business account. Go to the top
Create and Verify a Business Account
Go to the top To sign up for an eBay business history, you ’ ll motivation to fill a couple of forms on its web site. The forms will ask you to provide the follow information :
- Legal business name
- Business email
- Phone number
- Legally registered business address
If all the details you provide are right, you ’ ll get entree to your eBay commercial enterprise report concisely. Go to the top
Personalize Your Account and Policies
Go to the top now that you have an eBay business report, you can customize it to your occupation ’ second alone preferences. Use the navigation bar on the left to find Account Settings. here, you can modify :
- Addresses: Use this option to edit your business address, shipping address, and payment address.
- Communication Preferences: Use this option to set how you’ll get notifications from eBay.
- Site preferences: Use this option to configure settings related to payments, shipping, buyer communication, buyer requirements, return policies, and more.
You can leave most of these settings as default option, except the automatic payment method. This method acting will be used to pay your eBay selling fee – indeed make certain to adjust it accordingly. Your options are direct debit, credit rating card, and PayPal . To add the payment method acting, go to Account Settings > Business Information > Financial Information. then, plainly snap Change Automatic Payment Method. Go to the top
Consider Setting Up an eBay Shop
Go to the top once you have an eBay seller bill, you ’ re besides eligible to set up an eBay store. This is a bang-up choice if you ’ re truly serious about selling on eBay at a master flush. An eBay memory will cost you an excess subscription tip every calendar month, but you ’ ll be able to create a more personalized and branded experience for potential buyers.
eBay offers five subscription plans, with pricing starting from $ 4.95 a month when paid per annum. Depending on your subscription plan, you ’ ll be eligible to receive discounts on eBay sell fees, seller support, and other business tools. Go to the top
List Your Products
Go to the top now, it ’ south time for the fun region – listing your products ! once you ’ re logged in to your eBay occupation account, just cluck Sell in the top good corner to get started. There are 1.5 billion listings on eBay. therefore, for your listing to stand out, you need to describe the item in ampere a lot contingent as potential. The chief elements you should include here are :
Adding multiple high-quality images is vital to attract prospects to your product listings. eBay lets you add a maxim of 12 photos for each product. here are the best practices to keep in mind :
- Set your product against a simple white or neutral background
- Use a camera tripod for sharp, steady photos.
- Ensure your photos are at least 800px in width
- Take product shots from different angles to capture multiple areas
- Don’t use photos provided by the manufacturer – especially if they don’t follow these guidelines
Your product description should provide all the essential data a likely buyer needs to know. This includes :
- Your product’s key features and benefits
- Exactly what’s included in the sale (any extra accessories, for example)
Your writing should be crisp and to the orient, without any grammatical or spell errors .
It ’ second authoritative to be accurate and honest about the wear and tear of your merchandise. When selecting the condition of your item, your major options include :
- New – This refers to a brand-new and unused product
- Refurbished – This means the product has been refurbished by the seller or manufacturer.
- Used – This means the product has been used but still works as intended.
- For Parts or Not Working – Pick this when the product does not fully work as it’s supposed to.
Depending on the merchandise you ’ ra betray, specific details may include brand identify, size, tinge, type, style, and so on .
product identifiers are unique codes used to identify different products. Most branded products have these identifiers somewhere on the promotion. These can include :
- A Global Trade Item Number (GTIN). For example, a Universal Purchase Code (UPC) or International Standard Book Number (ISBN)
- A Manufacturer Part Number (MPN)
In this section, you ’ ll need to select the type of shipping you ’ ll propose :
- Flat (same shipping fee to all buyers)
- Calculated (variable shipping cost based on location)
- Freight (for products that weigh more than 150 pounds)
- Pick-up only
For eBay to assess your transportation monetary value, you ’ ll besides need to provide the address of the locate from where you ’ ll send the items. once you ’ ve added the above data, the other steps are to pick from the auction or fixed-price formats, and fix a price. Go to the top
Go to the top eBay pays you via your linked determine account. once an holy order is confirmed and you ’ ve shipped the item, eBay will then deduct the selling fees, and put the remaining proceeds in your eBay report as Processing Funds. From there, it may take a business day for the money to show up as Available for Payout, and then two business days to initiate the payout. Once the payout has been initiated, it will appear as Funds Sent, and will credibly take 1-3 business days to reach your checking explanation .Good to know: eBay selling fee eBay chiefly charges two types of deal fees. The total charged is based on the intersection ’ s price, class, listing upgrades, and your behave and overall performance as a seller .
- Insertion fee: This is charged when you create a product listing. You get up to 250 free product insertions every month, after which you’re required to pay this fee.
- Final value fee: This is charged when your product is sold. The amount to be paid is the sum of a percentage of the sale and 0.30 USD per order.
Find Out More
- Do you want to create your own ecommerce marketplace instead of selling on eBay? If so, check out our handy guide on How to Get Sellers for Your Ecommerce Website
Read more: How Much Does a Roof Replacement Cost?
Go to the top
How to Sell Products on eBay: Summary
Go to the top As you can see, eBay is a comprehensive marketplace with a thoughtful approach to letting people sell products on its chopine. even if you plan to start your own on-line store, selling on eBay is a great experiment to find out what sells, and commit the nuts and bolts of running an on-line business. To recap :
How to Start Selling on eBay
- Choose and source products to sell
- Choose an eBay account
- Create and verify a business account
- Personalize your account and policies
- Consider setting up an eBay shop
- List your products
- Receive payment
It may take some fourth dimension and attempt to optimize your source, listing, and fulfillment work flow, but once you do, selling on eBay is a placid drive. It can besides open up your mind and your business to fresh trends and opportunities, and set you on the path to building your own on-line memory ! Go to the top