staff members are on hand to help you with questions or problems that might arise, so you can get your render completed and filed with equally little fuss as possible. But the IRS cautioned in December 2021 that the COVID-19 pandemic continues to cause some delays in services .
1. connect With the IRS Online
One of the best ways to get the information you need is immediately from the IRS web site at IRS.gov. You can download about any human body or publication here. You ‘ll find a set of information right at your fingertips, including answers to frequently asked questions, tax law changes, and even planning calculators. It ‘s not a alternate for talking directly with a tax adept, but the site can point you in the correct focus when you need answers to basic tax questions .
As for that tax refund you ‘re expecting, there ‘s a extra tool available to track its status, excessively. equitable go to “ Where ‘s My Refund ? “ and click on “ Check My Refund Status. ”
The IRS powerfully advises using its electronic options for help .
2. Contact the IRS by Phone
The future well option is the telephone if you need to get in tint with the IRS but do n’t have a computer handy. The IRS provides a few toll-free numbers to assist you, depending on your circumstance :
- 800-829-1040 for individuals who have questions about anything related to personal taxes, available from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time
- 800-829-4933 for businesses with tax-related questions, available from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time
- 877-829-5500 for nonprofit tax questions, available from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time
- 866-699-4083 for estate and gift tax questions, available from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Eastern time
- 866-699-4096 for excise tax questions, available from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern time
- 800-919-9835 for taxpayers who contact the IRS concerning the Economic Impact Payment (stimulus checks)
- 800-829-4059 for taxpayers who are hearing impaired, no time restrictions
You can besides contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service ( TAS ) for tax questions that you ca n’t resolve. Its web site provides a tool to help you find an office in your country, along with contact information. All in-person locations remain close as of November 2021, but you can reach out by telephone at 877-777-4778 .
Wait times on the telephone can be farseeing, specially during the tax temper months of February, March, and April. You might want to try calling during the early morning hours.
3. represent With the IRS by Mail
The IRS advises against it on its web site, but you can still mail your composition tax forms and payments if you have no other choice. And you can send letters via escargot mail as well—stamped and mailed correspondence—if you do n’t mind waiting a while for a reply .
The best manner to get in reach with IRS personnel by mail is to contact the director for your local IRS district or your local Taxpayer Assistance Center. You should allow at least 30 days for a response. It may take 45 days or longer .
Remember that mailing your tax return can delay the march of your refund. Expect to wait several weeks for your refund to be issued by paper confirmation. It ‘s more likely to take three weeks or less if you e-file and choose to receive your refund by direct deposit .
4. Visit Your Local IRS Office
The IRS maintains a net of local anesthetic offices known as Taxpayer Assistance Centers ( TACs ), where you can go to ask questions and get avail. You can visit the IRS web site to search for a Taxpayer Assistance Center office near you .
The IRS began reopening TACs in June 2020, but you can placid only sojourn with an appointee as of deep 2021. Call 844-545-5640 to find out whether your nearest TAC is open and to reserve a clock slot. You can use the IRS web site list to determine the hours and policies of your prefer center. multilingual service is available in every office .
Again, be prepared for a delay if you ‘re headed to a local IRS agency during bill tax season. You might want to check every on-line avenue available to find the aid you need first .
5. Submit IRS Forms by Fax
The IRS put an end to fax and mailing tax transcripts in June 2019. Receiving forms and instructions by fax is n’t the best way to transmit sensitive information, but you can silent fax some documentation .
facsimile to the number listed on your CP06 audit notice if you have to transmit want supporting documentation during an audit of your tax render .
Get in Touch if You Ca n’t Pay
Reach out to the IRS immediately if you owe a tax bill and you are n’t able to pay it in full. You should file your fall promptly by the filing deadline and pay deoxyadenosine monophosphate much as you can at that time. The IRS might then help you work out an installment agreement to pay the balance over time.
You can easily apply for an installation agreement on-line. This quick communication can help minimize penalties and matter to on what you owe .
- The IRS provides Taxpayer Assistance Centers and Taxpayer Advocate Services all over the country, but many are still operating on reduced hours or by appointment only due to COVID. Call ahead or check online to make sure of the status of your local office.
- The IRS is a big supporter of internet technology, and it urges taxpayers to check its website before trying other options because you might well find your answers there.
- You can call the IRS as well. It provides multiple phone numbers depending on the purpose of your call.