Chip & Swipe Reader
This page was printed on Jun 11, 2022. For the current interpretation, visit hypertext transfer protocol : //bethelculturalcenter.com/en/manual/sell-in-person/hardware/card-readers/chip-and-swipe .
Available only from Shopify
The Chip & Swipe reviewer is available only if you are in the United States. If you want to use a circuit board reviewer with Shopify POS but you are n’t in the United States, then you need to accept payments with a subscribe card reader.
Reading: Chip & Swipe Reader
The Shopify Chip & Swipe Reader is an EMV-compliant accredit menu subscriber that connects wirelessly to your iPad or iPhone. Customers can insert or swipe their card, and then sign on the screen of your POS device .
To see more videos, visit our YouTube transmit .
Who is the Chip & Swipe Reader for?
The Chip & Swipe Reader is pocket-size, wireless, and comes with a base to rest on a countertop. It ‘s a good choice if you frequently sell in different locations, or if you ‘re merely getting started with accepting card payments in a retail store. You can besides use the Chip & Swipe Reader alongside another tease reader as a cost-efficient backup when you ‘re travelling or during interfering selling periods .
Grow your business
Want to accept contactless payments arsenic well as chip payments ? Try the Tap & Chip card lector .
Card reader requirements and supported payment types
To use the Chip & Swipe Reader, you need to meet the come requirements :
- a store based in the United States
- Shopify Payments activated as your store’s payment provider
- a compatible device
The Shopify POS app works with devices which meet the adopt requirements :
|iPhone||iPhone 5s or better running iOS 12.5.1 or higher|
|iPad Air||Generation 2 or better running iPadOS 12.5.1 or higher|
|iPad||Generation 5 or better running iPadOS 12.5.1 or higher|
|iPad mini||Generation 2 or higher running iPadOS 12.5.1 or higher|
|iPad Pro||All iPad Pro models running iPadOS 12.5.1 or higher|
|Android||Android device running version 7.0 (Nougat) or higher|
The Shopify POS app does not support io beta versions .
iOS 14 permission requirements
If you have updated your device to iOS 14 or higher and use third-party Shopify apps, then you might need to enable Cross-Website tracking in your io settings. Cross-Website tracking lets third-party Shopify apps that you have installed in your Shopify admin stay connected in Shopify Inbox, Shopify Point of Sale, and the Shopify mobile app. To enable Cross-Website tracking, accomplished the come steps :
- Open the Settings app on your device.
- Tap Shopify, Shopify POS, or Shopify Inbox.
- Enable Allow Cross-Website Tracking.
You can use the Chip & Swipe Reader to accept the come payment types :
- American Express
- Mastercard and Debit Mastercard
- Visa and Visa Debit
Mount the Chip & Swipe Reader
The Chip & Swipe Reader comes with two mounting stickers, which you can use to attach it to another device ( such as the back of a cellular telephone or pad ) or a legato, flat surface. If you detach your Chip & Swipe Reader, then the mounting spine can be wiped clean and re-used. Clean the climb surface and the Chip & Swipe Reader before attaching the mounting gummed label to ensure a strong bond. To mount the Chip & Swipe Reader : 1. Remove the protective film from one side of the climb poser. 2. Attach the mounting gummed label to the spinal column of the Chip & Swipe Reader ( the side with no logo ). 3. Remove the remaining protective film from the mounting gummed label. 4. Press the dagger side of the Chip & Swipe Reader against the mounting surface and hold for 3 seconds .
Power the Chip & Swipe Reader on and off
To turn on the Chip & Swipe Reader, bid and release the baron button on the side of the reader. The condition light turns on. If you ‘ve already paired and connected the reader with your POS device, then the subscriber automatically connects to the device. After 30 seconds of inactivity, the Chip & Swipe Reader goes into understudy manner, and the status light flashes every 5 seconds. While in standby mood, the card reader turns on automatically when you take a wag payment at check. After 3 hours of inactivity, the Chip & Swipe Reader turns itself off amply. When you following want to take a card payment, you need to press and release the power release to turn on the card reader again. typically you need to turn on the card proofreader only once a day. You can manually turn off the reader at any time by pressing and holding the power button until the status lighter turns off .
The Chip & Swipe Reader status light
Whenever the Chip & Swipe Reader is turned on, its condition alight shows the reviewer ‘s connection condition and whether the reader needs to be charged :
|Continuous flashing||The card reader is ready to connect to a POS device.|
|Flashing every 5 seconds||The card reader is in standby mode.|
|Green||The card reader is charged.|
|Yellow||The card reader is charging.|
|Red||The card reader’s battery is at 10% and the reader should be charged.|
|No light||The card reader is turned off.|
You can continue to make sales when the condition lighter turns crimson, but you should charge the reader soon .
Charge the Chip & Swipe Reader
You can charge the Chip & Swipe Reader by using the USB cable that ‘s supplied with it. To charge the proofreader, plug the micro USB connection into the wag lector or its foundation, and then plug the larger USB connection into a telephone charger or calculator. The Chip & Swipe Reader takes 1-2 hours to charge fully. After the proofreader is amply charged, its battery should last for a week of sell ( about 400 chip transactions, or 700 swipe transactions ) .
Pair and connect the Chip & Swipe Reader to your POS device
To use the batting order subscriber with Shopify POS, you need to pair and connect the subscriber with your device. After the lector and device are paired, the reader connects to the device mechanically whenever both are turned on and in image. If you accept credit cards and your card subscriber is not connected during a checkout, then you are prompted to follow the instructions on the Shopify POS screen to connect it .
- From Shopify POS, tap ≡ > Settings .
- Tap Set up hardware .
- On the Set up hardware page, tap Card reader .
- On the Select your card Reader page, tap Chip & Swipe .
- imperativeness and release the ability button on the side of the tease subscriber. The condition lighter starts flashing .
- When the calling card reader appears beneath Available card readers, tap Pair card reader beside it.
- Tap Finish setup .
When the match is successful, you return to the Hardware riddle where you see that the Chip & Swipe Reader is connected .
Unpair the Chip & Swipe Reader from your POS device
You can use the Chip & Swipe Reader with only one device at a time. If you want to use the menu reader with another device, then you need to first unpair it from its current device .
- From Shopify POS, pat ≡ > Settings .
- On the Hardware screen, tap Manage connected hardware .
- Tap the name of your connected batting order reviewer .
- Tap Forget card reader .
Your Chip & Swipe menu lector might require a software update. Updating the Chip & Swipe menu reader can take up to 15 minutes .
Do not close the app or disconnect the menu lector during the update process .
- Connect your menu lector and iPad to their charge cables .
- Pair your calling card reader with your iPad .
- From the Shopify POS, tap ≡ > Settings .
- Tap Manage connected hardware .
- Select your card proofreader .
- Under Update available, Tap View details .
- Tap Update .
Accept payment with the Chip & Swipe Reader
- From the Shopify POS, rap Checkout. If the Tap & Chip Reader is connected, it displays Swipe or Insert card at the top of the shield .
- Allow the customer to swipe or insert their tease. The chip must face up towards the Shopify logo .
- If an account selection is required, then the customer must select either a determine or savings account. Depending on the bank that the customer uses, they might besides be prompted to select which terminology to complete the transaction in .
- Allow the customer to discretely enter their pin on the PIN entry screen door. After the customer completes the submission of their PIN, they tap the green button with the checkmark logo .
- When the transaction is successful, the customer can remove their batting order and you can choose whether to provide a receipt .
- Tap Done .
Troubleshoot the Chip & Swipe Reader
If your card lector is n’t working, then go through the adopt steps with a trial order for a 1.00 agile sale detail ( you can refund the order late ) :
- Check that you meet the requirements to use the Chip & Swipe Reader .
Check that you have an internet joining. Shopify POS needs to connect to the internet through Wi-Fi or your device ‘s cellular data to process payments. If you ca n’t connect to the internet, then you ca n’t process tease payments .
If you do n’t meet all the requirements, then you can placid take credit tease payments using an external payment terminal .
- Check that your device has Bluetooth enabled and that the card lector is showing as connected in the Shopify POS hardware settings. If the calling card lector is n’t showing as connected, then try pairing the card reviewer with your device .
- Make certain that you ‘re tapping Credit at the payments screen. The External terminal requital choice is only for when you ‘re using an external payment terminal alternatively of a Shopify-supported card reader .
- Make indisputable that you ‘re inserting or swiping the card correctly.
- Try entering the credit tease data manually. If this works, then there ‘s a problem with the menu subscriber .
- If the manual submission does n’t work, then force quit the Shopify POS app, and then turn off the device and card lector. Turn the device back on, open Shopify POS, and then turn on the batting order lector. When the wag reviewer ‘s status lightly shows that the lector ‘s connected, try another test order .
If your batting order reader ‘s hush not working, then contact Shopify Support .