Does Medicare Pay for A Lift Chair? – Humana

Medicare can help pay for separate of a lift chair under its durable medical equipment ( DME ) coverage.1 But to get the payment approved, you must meet a few requirements .
Let ’ s take a front at the basics of a rise chair, Medicare coverage and the potential monetary value to you .

What is a lift chair?

A lift president is exchangeable to a typical recliner but with one extra have : a motorize lift device. The device is in the base of the electric chair and raises or lowers the seat on control. The slant of the induct assists with getting up or down from a baby-sit or a standing place, which can help with balance wheel and mobility challenges a well as firm joints and muscle pain.

Please note: A lift president is different from a step rise electric chair, which moves up and down a stairway. It ’ randomness besides unlike from a patient lift, which caregivers use to move patients from a bed to a electric chair.

Will Medicare pay for a lift chair?

Yes, Medicare Part B does cover some of the costs of a lift chair. however, there are 2 important factors to consider :

  1. Part B only helps pay for the lifting device, not the chair itself. For example, the lifting device coverage does not include fabric, cushions or any accessories like heat foam or massage pads.
  2. Medicare will only help cover a motorized chair lifting device prescribed by doctors and provided through DME suppliers enrolled in Medicare.2 If they aren’t enrolled, Medicare will not pay the claims they submit.3

Medicare Part C, besides known as Medicare Advantage plans, might pay for lift chairs arsenic well. If you have a Medicare Advantage design, check with your supplier.

How do I qualify for Medicare to cover my lift chair?

first base, you must get a prescription from your doctor that states your airlift professorship is a checkup necessity. future, you and your doctor will complete and submit a Certificate of Medical Necessity for Seat Lift Mechanisms Form, PDF opens fresh window.

For reference, here are some of the medical requirements for Medicare to help pay for your aerodynamic lift president :

  • You have severe arthritis of the hip or knee, or a severe neuromuscular disease.
  • You can’t stand up on your own from a regular chair.
  • Without the chair, you’d be confined to another chair or bed.
  • Once standing, you can walk independently or with the aid of a walker or cane.
  • You do not reside within a skilled nursing facility, hospice or nursing home facility.

How much do lift chairs cost through Medicare?

If you qualify, Medicare will pay 80 % of the cost of the mechanized plagiarize device. You ’ ll pay your Part B annual deductible, the remaining 20 % for the device and the price of the electric chair itself. The total come you pay can depend on any early insurance you have, where you get the airlift president and more.4

The bottom line

Lift chairs can be a safe and elementary solution for anyone with hep, knee or muscleman issues. If you feel you could benefit from a lift professorship, reach out to your doctor for more data.

Sources:

  1. “Patient Lifts,” Medicare.gov, last accessed August 13, 2021, hypertext transfer protocol : //www.medicare.gov/coverage/patient-lifts, opens newly windowpane.
  2. “Patient Lifts.”
  3. “Patient Lifts.”
  4. “Patient Lifts.”
reservoir : https://bethelculturalcenter.com
Category : Finance

Related Posts