Before Mailing Your Individual Income Tax Return
Helpful Filing Tips for Individual Income Tax
Remember ! You can complete the tax forms on your computer. once completed, print and save a transcript of the return. Find this year ’ randomness tax forms .
Before you electronically file ( or mail ) your Georgia Individual Income Tax Return please review the take after :
Completing your Return
- If handwritten, use black or blue ink only.
- Do not staple or attach your check, W-2s or any other documents to your return.
- Submit proper documentation (schedules, statements and supporting documentation, including W-2s, other states’ tax returns, or necessary federal returns and schedules).
- Use the correct form – forms differ by tax type and tax year. Look at the bottom of the form for the required pages to submit.
- Double-check your return.
- Review personal information (social security number (SSN), address, date of birth) on your return for each person listed
- Check your math! Review the calculations on your return
- Sign your return.
- Taxpayers must sign and date their returns
- Both spouses must sign the joint return, even if there was only one income reported
- The return preparer should also sign the return
- Mail your return, payment, and all necessary documentation to the appropriate address listed on the return. (Need to look-up the mailing address?)
Payments and Vouchers
- Make your checks or money order payable to the Georgia Department of Revenue.
- Fill out your check or money order correctly. Verify that the written and numerical amounts match, include taxpayer name(s), address, account #/SSN, and tax year.
- Cut the payment voucher along the dotted lines.
- Please do not staple your payment to the voucher or fold your voucher and check.
- Remove your check stub and keep it with your records.
- Use current year payment vouchers to file for the current tax year.
- File Form 500X to correct any incorrect information reported on Form 500.
- Do not use Form 500 to correct a previously filed return and do not use a Form 500X as an original return.
- When filing an amended return, you are not required to send in a copy of your original return.
- Failing to list your spouse’s SSN when filing a separate return
- Incorrectly or failing to list exemptions, dependents, income, and deductions
- Failing to enter the amount owed or the refund amount. Do not enter amounts on both lines.
- Incorrectly completing Schedule 3 or failing to include it with your return when required
- Sending your return by certified mail. Why you should not do this.
cash register on Georgia Tax Center ( GTC ) to receive updates on the status of your refund. You can besides read letters, make payments, or set up a requital plan on GTC.
Georgia Tax Center
Use the Georgia Tax Center to check on the status of your refund, receive notifications and many other on-line services .Get Started