Key points to consider
The three key points to consider when buying bitcoin are :
- Payment method
- Platform/venue used
- Where your bitcoin goes
Payment methods scope from accredit menu to savings bank transfer, payment app ( PayPal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, etc. ), face-to-face with cash, and even barter. Each payment method acting carries tradeoffs in terms of appliance, privacy, and consociate fees .
Platforms/venues for buying bitcoin include digital wallet providers, centralized point exchanges, OTC desks ( private ‘Over-The-Counter ‘ exchange services used primarily by high-net-worth individuals ), peer-to-peer marketplaces, and flush requital apps like PayPal.
Of path, it ‘s besides possible to buy bitcoin face-to-face. For case, you could give cash to your ally in commute for receiving an agree sum of bitcoin .
As for where your bitcoin goes after you buy it, the options are :
- Into a Bitcoin wallet you control (ie. a ‘non-custodial’ wallet like the Bitcoin.com Wallet)
- Into a Bitcoin wallet someone else controls (eg. a centralized cryptocurrency exchange or a payment app like PayPal).
Not your keys, not your bitcoin!
When you hold bitcoin in a wallet you control ( known as a ‘non-custodial ‘ wallet ), you never have to ask for license to use it. This means you can receive your bitcoin without waiting for a third party like a centralize substitution to approve the transaction. It besides means you can send your bitcoin wherever you want, whenever you want .
By contrast, many custodial Bitcoin wallets impose severe restrictions on what you can do with your bitcoin. For case, you may be asked to register an address before sending bitcoin to it, and you may be required to wait respective days before being allowed to make a withdrawal. In some cases ( PayPal for example ), withdrawals of any kind are simply not permitted. It ‘s besides not rare to have your explanation frozen wholly. If you ‘ve been deemed a security or fraud risk, for case, you may be locked out of your account with no recourse to action .
The best non-custodial Bitcoin wallets besides enable you to customize the ‘network fee ‘ each fourth dimension you send. This means you can save money on transaction fees when you ‘re not in a rush, or pay more to send fast when you are .
possibly most importantly, non-custodial wallets are more secure. american samoa retentive as you maintain key management best practices, you ‘ll never have to worry about getting hacked, nor will you be exposed to counter-party risks like a centralize change getting hacked or going bankrupt .
If you do n’t have a bitcoin wallet yet, check the Bitcoin.com Wallet – easy-to-use, non-custodial Bitcoin wallet trusted by millions .
Read more : What ‘s a Non-Custodial Bitcoin Wallet ?
Why do I need to verify my identity to purchase bitcoin?
When you buy bitcoin with a government-issued currency through an substitution service, you ‘re interacting with a determine occupation. such businesses must comply with Know Your Customer ( KYC ) and Anti-Money Laundering ( AML ) regulations pertaining to the transfer of money. These regulations require the collection and storage of customer data, including identity documents and sometimes proof of address .
What are the fees for buying bitcoin?
Fees for buying bitcoin depend on the requital method and platform/venue used. For exemplar, if you ‘re buying immediately from a friend and settling in cash, you ‘ll only need to consider the ‘network tip ‘ for sending the bitcoin from your friend ‘s digital wallet to yours .
Learn about sending bitcoin, including data of network fees and more .
If you ‘re paying with a citation poster or savings bank transfer, you ‘ll of path need to factor in the fees for using those payment methods .
beyond that, substitute services charge extra fees for facilitating trades. These fees cover the exchanges ‘ operational costs plus a minor margin. In general, you ‘ll pay lower overall fees for larger purchases, so it much makes feel to avoid making many minor buys .
Read more : How bitcoin exchanges work.
Ways to buy bitcoin
Having gone through the basics of buying bitcoin, let ‘s look in more detail at the methods and processes .
hop ahead :
- Buying bitcoin with the Bitcoin.com Wallet
- Buying bitcoin from the Bitcoin.com website
- Buying bitcoin from a centralized cryptocurrency exchange
- Buying bitcoin using a peer-to-peer trading platform
- Buying bitcoin cash using our peer-to-peer trading platform
Buying bitcoin with the Bitcoin.com Wallet
Crypto wallets allow you to buy bitcoin handily from within the wallet app, and the Bitcoin.com Wallet is no exception. importantly, the Bitcoin.com Wallet is amply non-custodial. This means you ‘re always in complete control of your bitcoin. here ‘s the work for buying bitcoin using our app :
- Open the Bitcoin.com Wallet app on your device.
- Select Bitcoin (BTC) and tap the “Buy” button. Note: you can also buy other digital assets.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to choose your preferred wallet for depositing. The Bitcoin.com Wallet actually consists of separate wallets for each digital asset we support (eg. BTC, BCH, etc.). Additionally, you can make as many individual wallets as you want, a feature that can help you to organize your funds. For example, you can make one Bitcoin wallet called My BTC Savings and another Bitcoin wallet called Everyday BTC Spending.
- If it’s your first purchase, verify your identity. After your first purchase, which includes identification verification, future purchases are completed in seconds!
- Once complete, your purchase will proceed.
Of course, you can besides use your Bitcoin.com Wallet to receive, hold, and use the bitcoin you ‘ve already purchased via a different method acting. other methods for buying bitcoin include :
Buying bitcoin from the Bitcoin.com website
You can buy bitcoin from the Bitcoin.com web site using your credit/debit card or early payment method acting ( Apple Pay, Google Pay, and so forth ). When you buy bitcoin from our web site, you ‘ll need to decide where to receive it. This means you ‘ll need to input a Bitcoin ‘address ‘ when prompted .
For example, a Bitcoin address looks something like this :
hera ‘s the work for buying from our web site :
- Visit our Buy Bitcoin page.
- Select Bitcoin (BTC). Note: you can also purchase a range of other digital assets.
- Choose whether you want to pay in USD or another local currency, and enter the currency amount (eg. $100).
- Click the BUY button.
enroll your wallet address. here ‘s where you ‘ll decide where the bitcoin you ‘re buying goes. For example, you can send bitcoin heterosexual to your Bitcoin.com Wallet. To do then, you precisely need to know your Bitcoin address. To get the right address :
- Open the app
- Tap the receive icon
- Select Bitcoin (BTC) and choose the Bitcoin wallet you want to receive it to (eg. My BTC Wallet)
- Tap the copy button to save the address to your clipboard. You’ll need to paste that address into the Bitcoin.com Buy website. If you’re accessing the website from your desktop or laptop, you can, for example, email the address to yourself then paste it in the wallet address field on our site.
- Complete the purchase process by creating an account and providing your payment details.
Buying bitcoin from a centralized cryptocurrency exchange
With this method acting, the bitcoin you purchase will at beginning be held by the cryptocurrency substitution on your behalf. If you ‘d like to take full manipulate of your bitcoin, you ‘ll need to withdraw it from the exchange to a non-custodial wallet like the Bitcoin.com Wallet. When you withdraw bitcoin from an exchange, you ‘ll be subject to the change ‘s withdrawal policy and fees. In some cases, you may not be able to withdraw for days or weeks, and the withdrawal fee could be much higher than a Bitcoin transaction tip would normally be .
Read more : How to send bitcoin .
hera ‘s the typical flow for buying bitcoin from an exchange .
- Visit a cryptocurrency exchange website like Bitcoin.com Exchange. Here’s a curated list of other top crypto exchanges.
- Create an account and verify your identity as required.
- Follow the website’s instructions to buy your bitcoin (BTC) or other digital asset.
- Your bitcoin will appear in your exchange account.
- If you’d like to take full control of your bitcoin, send it from the exchange to your non-custodial wallet (like the Bitcoin.com Wallet).
Buying bitcoin using a peer-to-peer trading platform
A kind of platforms facilitate the trade of bitcoin and other digital assets by offering 1 ) a venue for buyers and sellers to post their buy and sell orders, and 2 ) an escrow and quarrel resolution service .
Since these platforms chiefly help people find each early, in many jurisdictions they are n’t technically classified as exchanges or ‘money transmitters, ‘ so in some cases they do n’t require you to reveal your identity in order to use them. For privacy-conscious buyers, therefore, P2P platforms can be an effective method acting for obtaining bitcoin despite being generally less convenient, and often more dearly-won overall ( it can be hard to get the “ decline ” market pace using this method due to lack of fluidity ). note however, that as a seller, using a peer-to-peer platform to engage in the commercial sale of bitcoin ( beyond, say, a few minor transactions here and there ) may find you on the wrong english of the law in your area.
Read more : How does Bitcoin change work ?
Most peer-to-peer Bitcoin exchanges integrate a reputation system, meaning they track and display the trade history of their users. If you ‘re looking to buy using a P2P exchange, you ‘ll want to choose sellers who have a good reputation, meaning they ‘ve completed several trades and never had a complaint .
The process for buying bitcoin using a peer-to-peer commute is typically adenine follows :
- Browse through listings by payment type (eg. bank transfer, PayPal, etc.), amount, location of seller, reputation, and so on.
- Initiate a trade. Doing so locks up the bitcoin in an escrow account.
- Send the agreed payment amount via the agreed payment method. Note, this could potentially even mean meeting the seller in person and handing over cash directly.
- The seller then confirms receipt of the payment via the website or app .This triggers the bitcoin to be released from escrow to your Bitcoin wallet.
- In some cases, the purchased bitcoin will be released from escrow directly to the Bitcoin wallet of your choosing. In other cases, it will first be sent to your peer-to-peer platform account wallet (which is typically a custodial web wallet). In that case, you’d then want to withdraw it to a Bitcoin wallet you control. Note that this final step often incurs a fee, which typically constitutes the peer-to-peer platform’s business model.