Start a Texas LLC Today
Get the fastest Texas LLC geological formation on-line with worry-free services and documentation to start your business
figure your preferable party name
Starts at $ 49 + state fees and lone takes 5-10 minutes
Texas is full of the entrepreneurial liveliness. From Midland ’ mho vegetable oil fields to the technical school scene in Austin, businesses thrive in the Lone Star State. If you ’ re quick to start a commercial enterprise in Texas a great position to launch a limited liability company ( LLC ) .
Building a Texas LLC can feel consuming and exciting. Against the backdrop of Texas ’ s massive economy, you ’ ll find enough of competition and opportunity. You ’ re credibly eager to know how to start an LLC in Texas and put your business plan in motion. We can walk you through the steps to form a business, from choosing a business name to knowing how to register your LLC in Texas .
But before you start an LLC in Texas and begin operating your clientele, you ’ ll need to complete a key stage in the life cycle of any company. To truly get to work, you need to establish your Texas LLC formally, completing all the tasks that the procedure requires. We will show you how to create an LLC in Texas .
If You Need Help Forming an LLC in Texas
We get it : No aspiring business owner likes getting stuck doing government paperwork. here at ZenBusiness, we offer business formation plans and other services to help you avoid much of that paperwork. In this article, we ’ ll walk you through the steps needed to form a Texas LLC and show you how we can help you along the way .
The basal manner we can help you in the formation work is by registering your raw commercial enterprise with the Texas Secretary of State ( SOS ), which is required for becoming an LLC. This serve, which we ’ ll walk you through, enters your new company into the public record and provides the information necessity for the department of state to regulate and communicate with your caller .
The Process of Setting Up an LLC in Texas
Below, we ’ ll explain what to do when forming a new LLC. then, we ’ ll answer key questions about Texas LLCs, covering everything from operating agreements to taxation options .
LLC formation in Texas is a multistep process. As entrepreneurs promptly detect, the legwork involves completing forms with the Texas Secretary of State. This agency maintains records of all LLCs in Texas. You ’ ll need to add your business entity to its list to operate as an LLC legally .
The process is about more than just paperwork. To complete the official forms to create your Texas LLC, you ’ ll need to make sealed decisions about your new party. In some cases, these choices could have a last affect as your LLC grows .
once you file your formation paperwork with the state of Texas, you ’ ll need to take another step. You ’ ll indigence to register your newfangled business with the Internal Revenue Service ( IRS ) to receive an Employer Identification Number ( EIN ) .
At the beginning, these obligations can seem consuming. accordingly, we ’ ve broken down the process of starting an LLC in Texas into five steps .
Step 1: Name your Texas LLC
Before you start your Texas LLC formally, you face a fundamental decision : How to name this new speculation of yours ?
Some entrepreneurs agonize over what to call their businesses, picking a name only after careful consideration. These folks brainstorm witty names or appealing monikers, gauging the opinions of friends, family members, or occupation associates .
Find the perfect name
Enter a few keywords to get started.
For others, name survival is far more straightforward. They cursorily land on a name that works and don ’ t give much thought to alternatives. This camp includes entrepreneurs who choose to include their names in the claim of their new venture. For location-specific businesses, another simpleton option is to reference the locate in question. For case, customers will instantaneously know where to look for the Fourth Street Cafe .
How to Name Your Texas LLC
Depending on your work ’ second nature, the name of your new LLC could have big implications for your selling efforts. You don ’ t want to decide impetuously and be saddled with a name that doesn ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate serve your commercial enterprise well .
On the other hand, you don ’ t have to call yourself something groundbreakingly clever to attract customers. Plus, you don ’ thyroxine necessarily need to use the wide legal list of your business in all interactions with customers. If you ’ vitamin d prefer to conduct occupation under a unlike name, you do have that choice in the state of Texas. You can find out more about that below where we cover how to use an bear occupation name .
While naming your business can feel arouse, you have so far to deal with the most crucial partially of the process. This share is meeting the Texas Secretary of State requirements for naming new businesses. If you get carried away with creative divine guidance, you might discover that the list you ’ ve picked is unavailable or inconsistent with state requirements .
Texas SOS Requirements for Naming an LLC in Texas
Before you settle on a legal name for your occupation, it ’ second wise to understand the rules that will dictate whether you can use it. hera ’ s a agile dislocation of some basic Texas Secretary of State regulations for naming new businesses :
- Your name must include the words “limited liability company,” “limited company,” or one of the following abbreviations of those phrases: LLC, LC, L.C., L.L.C., Ltd. Co., Ltd. Company, Ltd. Liability Co., or Ltd. Liability Company. Note that Texas code won’t let you use only “limited” or “company” alone. Most businesses prefer to use an acronym rather than the full phrase.
- You can’t use a name that misleads the public about the nature of your business. For example, this restriction applies to putting the words “university” or “bank” in your business name. You can’t use these words unless approved by the appropriate accrediting agencies in Texas.
- You can’t use a name that might convince the public that you’re a government agency. For example, you couldn’t choose something like the “Houston Highway Transportation Commission” for your business selling auto insurance.
- You can’t use a name that is “grossly offensive.” You can use your imagination to guess what sort of names might qualify for this category (or, better yet, don’t).
There ’ s besides one final necessity, which is possibly the most important. The name of your LLC must be distinguishable from existing business entities ( including businesses no long in operation ). Simply put, you can not use the like mention another entity is using because the state of matter and general public motivation to differentiate businesses from each other .
How to Come Up With a Distinguishable Name for Your Texas LLC
You are besides barred from using slight alterations to another commercial enterprise ’ s appoint to skirt around this rule. For model, if an existing occupation is named “ Austin Landscaping LLC, ” you won ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate be able to use “ AUSTIN LANDSCAPING LLC ” or “ Austin Land Scaping LLC. ” Similarly, changing the variation on “ LLC ” won ’ thymine work : In the eyes of Texas, “ Austin Landscaping LLC ” and “ Austin Landscaping L.L.C. ” are the lapp name .
however, you can pick a mention that is reasonably alike but distinguishable from an existing business entity. For example, “ Landscaping Professionals LLC ” is considered distinguishable from “ Landscaping Professionals of Austin LLC. ” Similarly, changing the rate of sealed words can make a new diagnose distinguishable : “ Professional Landscaping LLC ” is unlike from “ Landscaping Professionals LLC. ”
You can besides use a list in another language that has the same appoint mean as an existing commercial enterprise entity. For example, you could name your business “ Gallo Rojo LLC, ” evening if a “ Red Rooster LLC ” already exists .
How to Check if a Name Already Exists
How can you tell if the mention you ’ d like to use is already attached to another Texas business ? Our Texas clientele entity research page can guide you .
If you do find an existing entity with the name you want or something identical similar, you have two options .
- First, you could vary your name slightly from the name you had originally intended, using the state’s rules for differentiating names as a guideline. When you’ve decided how to alter your name, you can contact the Secretary of State’s office to confirm the name is distinct enough from the existing entity.
- You can also contact the existing business entity to see if the owners might consent to you using a very similar name. This is only possible only in specific circumstances, however, such as when an abbreviation might alter the name. For instance, “Harris Brothers LLC” might give you consent to use “Harris Bros. LLC.” You’d need this permission in writing, but the state could still deem it inappropriate.
Reserving an LLC Name in Texas
once you settle on an official name that complies with Texas rules, consider reserving it with the Secretary of State. That way, no other commercial enterprise can snatch it up before you found your fresh LLC formally. We can handle this procedure for you with our occupation name reservation serve. not entirely do we handle the paperwork to reserve your name, but we besides perform a search to make sure your desire business name is available .
Using an Assumed Business Name for Your LLC in Texas
When it comes to appointment, there ’ s one other subjugate worth discussing. As mentioned above, you don ’ t need to use the full, official name of your LLC when doing business with customers .
Texas allows business entities to operate using “ assumed names, ” meaning titles other than their legal names. This is besides referred to as a DBA or “ Doing Business As ” name in Texas. For example, a ship’s company with the legal name “ Everpower Energy and Resource Development LLC ” might operate under the wear mention “ EverPower Energy ” for branding and ease .
If you ’ d like help in acquiring an assume diagnose, our DBA avail can help. We can handle filing the Assumed Name Certificate with the Secretary of State .
interestingly, Texas allows multiple companies to use the lapp “ assumed name ” therefore long as they ’ ve filed the appropriate paperwork. For example, a security confer party and home health adjutant agency could use the wear name “ Guardian Angels. ” But this rule doesn ’ t allow one commercial enterprise to pose as another to deceive potential customers. Trademark and copyright regulations still apply, as do laws concerning fraud and false advertise .
Secure a Domain Name for Your Texas LLC
When you ’ re coming up with a business appoint, consider securing a meet knowledge domain name so that your future web site can be found on-line. We have a tool to help you do a preliminary domain name search, and our domain name registration servicing can help you secure the on-line name that will best serve your company .
Check Your Texas LLC Name for Trademarks
ultimately, to make certain you ’ re entirely in the net with your commercial enterprise diagnose, visit the United States Patent and Trademark Office web site. On the USPTO website you can find out whether your business name or logo is federally trademarked. Trademarks can besides happen at the express level. To find out more and/or apply for a state brand, go to the Texas Secretary of State web site page for trademarks .
Step 2: Appoint a registered agent for your Texas LLC
What is a Registered Agent & Why Do You Need One
For newly entrepreneurs, the term “ registered agent ” may not ring any bells. But you ’ ll need one to launch your LLC — and throughout the life of your business .
hera ’ s the basic function of register agents : Texas, like all other states, needs to serve legal documents or tax notices to business entities. If, for model, your business is sued, the courts need to know where a process waiter can deliver the legal paperwork .
Registered Agent Requirements in Texas
accordingly, your LLC ’ south registered agentive role must be a nonmigratory or commercial enterprise entity with a physical address in the state of Texas. This “ registered cover ” can not be a P.O. box. It must be a veridical physical placement that can be visited in person .
additionally, in Texas, your registered agent must consent to perform this role and sign a class indicating their agreement. While you do not need to submit this form to the Secretary of State, your commercial enterprise must record it .
Can You Choose to Become Your Own Registered Agent
many occupation owners assume they ’ ll serve as registered agents for their own companies, and some ultimately choose to do therefore. But this decisiveness could have potentially debatable consequences, which you should surely consider :
- If you serve as your registered agent and provide your business address, you’re required to be available during standard business hours. When you plan to work outside the office or take business trips, this requirement could be problematic.
- If you provide your business address as your registered address, you risk being served with legal paperwork in front of customers or employees. Being served with a lawsuit so publicly could be embarrassing.
- If you provide your personal or business address as your registered address, you’ll need to update your registered agent paperwork with Texas each time you move. At rapidly growing companies, it’s easy to see how this essential step could get overlooked.
If you ’ re looking for a register agent for your Texas LLC, check out our Texas registered agent service to see how we can take care of this prerequisite for you .
Step 3: File Texas Certificate of Formation
When starting an LLC in Texas, the most authoritative form of all is the Certificate of Formation. This document provides the Secretary of State with crucial information about your business, including your LLC members, registered agent, and general function. once this form is processed and approved, your LLC is formed formally. If you use one of our business formation plans, we can handle this entire footfall for you .
Mail or File Online
The Certificate of Formation can be filed online through the Texas SOSDirect web site or by submitting the form 205 by mail. There ’ sulfur an associated file tip, plus an extra fee if you choose expedite march. See more on these fees in the sections on costs below .
Where to mail your Texas LLC Certificate of Formation
For those who choose to mail their Certificate of Formation, you can send it to :
Secretary of State
P.O. Box 13697
Austin, TX 78711-3697
What Information to Provide About Your Texas LLC
On your certificate of Formation, you ’ ll indigence to enter your business ’ mho list and registered agent that we have already discussed earlier. But the class will besides ask you to provide several early items, some of which require extra explanation .
- Governing Authority: Texas asks business owners to designate whether the LLC will be governed by specific “managers” or members of the LLC. For example, if two members intend to run the business while another is a silent investor, you can designate the two active individuals as “managers.” A manager can also be someone who isn’t a member, but is hired by the members. If every member plans to be involved in daily operations, you can state that the LLC will be member-governed and provide the names and addresses for each member.
- Purpose: The form includes a generic statement of purpose, stating that the LLC is being formed to conduct business that is lawful in the state of Texas. This is sufficient for the majority of businesses. Certain kinds of LLCs, however, may need to provide additional information to satisfy federal regulations. If an LLC intends to seek tax-exempt, nonprofit status, for example, it would need to provide additional information about its mission.
- Organizer: The organizer is the individual who files the Certificate of Formation paperwork on an LLC’s behalf. The organizer does not need to be a member of the LLC: An attorney or business representative may act in this role instead. Here at ZenBusiness, for example, we often act as the organizer for our clients’ Certificates of Formation. The organizer must sign the Certificate of Formation before submitting it.
- Effectiveness of filing: This section allows members to designate a future date (within 90 days) at which the Certificate of Formation will come into effect. Members can also designate an event that will cause the Certificate of Formation to come into effect. For example, when all members sign an operating agreement for the business. Otherwise, you can elect for the Certificate of Formation to take effect immediately.
Keeping Your Texas LLC Paperwork Organized
If you have ZenBusiness handle filing your certificate of Formation, once the state approves your LLC, your paperwork will be available from your ZenBusiness dashboard. In the splashboard, you can keep this and other important paperwork digitally organized .
once you get your physical paperwork back from the state approving your raw LLC, keep it in a dependable localization along with your other important documents, such as your function agreement, member certificates, contracts, transfer ledger, etc. We offer a customize business kit to help you keep these important documents organized and looking professional .
By now you ’ re realizing how much you ’ ll need to supply an address for your newly business. That can be unsettling for some clientele owners, specially those running their commercial enterprise from home. In instances where you ’ rhenium not required to give the registered agent address or official principal address for your business, a virtual mailing address can come in handy .
Our virtual mail address service provides you with a physical street address where you can have your mail sent without divulging your real address to more people than necessity .
Step 4: Create an operating agreement
What is the Purpose of an Operating Agreement
Without clear rules and expectations in position, any business can get complicate quickly. What happens if a member of the LLC needs to step away from the business, or the members decide to bring a fresh penis in ? How will the company move forward if the members disagree on business scheme ? What if personal differences spill into the business, clouding the guess in conflict ?
A Texas LLC operating agreement is the key to preventing and resolving these potential challenges, clearly articulating your raw commercial enterprise ’ randomness social organization and policies. In the event of business challenges or unanticipated troubles among an LLC ’ s members, an operate on agreement delineates the ship’s company ’ randomness rules.
What to Include
These legal agreements can clarify several significant concerns, such as :
- Who has decision-making authority for the company, especially those who have the power to decide if partners disagree.
- Who is responsible for various aspects of the business, both in terms of daily roles and strategic decision making.
- What happens if a partner decides to leave the business, and what will happen concerning exiting partners’ ownership stakes in the company.
- What the protocol is for bringing on new members and how their powers and privileges will differ from original members.
- Finally, what happens if partners decide to bring the business to an end.
Why you need an operating agreement for an LLC in Texas
If you do not create an operating agreement for your LLC, these matters will be governed by Texas ’ mho default laws. These criterion procedures may not reflect the world of your commercial enterprise and could prove deeply unfair if a conflict arises. consequently, while you don ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate technically need an operate agreement to form an LLC in Texas, it ’ randomness highly advisable to create one .
Operating agreements can even be advantageous for single-member LLCs. In this scenario, it indicates to potential investors or partners that your company is a legitimate and separate business entity. For exercise, if you hope to obtain a loan or inauguration capital from a bank or investor, they may want to ensure you have an engage agreement .
Step 5: Apply for an EIN
What’s the purpose of obtaining an EIN for an LLC in Texas
once your LLC is formed in the express of Texas, you ’ ll need to obtain a Tax ID count, besides known as an Employer Identification Number ( EIN ) from the IRS. While not all businesses are legally required to obtain an EIN, doing indeed is prudent for most new companies .
The U.S. government uses EINs for respective purposes related to tax income. In certain context, you ’ ll sometimes see them referred to as Federal Tax Identification Numbers. If you plan to have employees, you ’ ll need an EIN to manage all of your employer taxes. If you have other members in your new LLC, you ’ re required to have an EIN .
entirely if you ’ ra operating your raw LLC solo, it ’ s potential that you won ’ t need an EIN. It ’ s a good idea to get one because you ’ ll need it for basic tasks like opening up a business bank report. An EIN can besides help prevent identity larceny. Without one, you ’ ll need to put your Social Security phone number on clientele documents, possibly exposing you to prying eyes .
How to get an EIN for your Texas LLC
You can get an EIN for your Texas LLC through the IRS web site, by mail, or by fax. however, if you ’ ra not very fond of dealing with that particular politics agency, we can get it for you. Our EIN service eliminates the harass .
EIN is Required for Opening a Bank Account
once you ’ ve secured an EIN, you ’ ll be able to open a commercial enterprise bank explanation. Having divide accounts for your business and your personal bank is critical for sorting out your finances at tax time. It helps you avoid commingling funds. Commingling funds can not entirely make your taxes more difficult, but it could besides be used against you if person takes you to woo to challenge whether you and your LLC are in truth disjoined entities .
We have partnered with LendingClub to offer a discount bank account for your new business. This allows for outright transactions, on-line trust, a debit calling card, and more. When you want to authorize others in your commercial enterprise to use the account, we offer a banking settlement template to simplify the action .
For further avail managing your new LLC ’ sulfur finances, try the ZenBusiness Money App. It can help you create invoices, get payments, and transfer money all in one rate .
Texas LLC FAQs
- How much does it cost to start an LLC in Texas ? Around the nation, department of state officials charge new businesses for processing their formation documents. This practice helps the express raise gross and offsets the function costs of the Secretary of State .
unfortunately, Texas charges importantly higher file fees than many other states, leaving some occupation owners taken aback by unexpected expenses. As you proceed with forming your LLC, you ’ ll want to know what you ’ ll be charged at each stagecoach, allowing you to plan .
To get the most current fees, you ’ ll want to check the Texas Secretary of State web site. however, we ’ ve compiled a number of the kinds of administrative charges you may encounter below :
- If you decide to reserve a name for your new business, you’ll have to pay a fee to submit the name reservation application online or by mail. While you don’t need to take this step, it might be well worth the cost to ensure that no other business snags your preferred name before you can.
- If you decide to use an assumed name when operating your business, you’ll need to pay a fee to file your assumed name certificate online or by mail. Again, this cost is not mandatory for all LLCs, but it is required for businesses that decide to adopt an assumed name.
- If you choose to submit a copy of your registered agent consent form, you’ll be required to pay a small fee online or by mail. Remember that you don’t necessarily need to submit this document, but if you elect not to, you’ll still need to maintain a copy of the consent form in your records.
- When filing your Certificate of Formation with the Secretary of State, you’ll need to pay a substantial filing fee, whether you file online or by mail. If you pay by credit card, a convenience fee will also be charged. There’s no way around this sizable fee: All LLCs are required to pay it.
- If you choose expedited processing for business filing paperwork, you’ll need to pay an extra fee for each document submitted. If you need to change any of the information filed in a previous form, you’ll need to pay another small fee to file a Certificate of Correction online or by mail.
Of course, this list doesn ’ t include other electric potential fees that Texas might require from your commercial enterprise, such as the cost of specific licenses and permits or filing your annual report. extra reports that are alone to Texas LLCs include the Public Information Report ( PIR ). You can find out more about these ongoing filings by visiting the Texas Comptroller ’ s web site .
additionally, these prices don ’ metric ton report for the time and feat you ’ ll spend preparing and submitting the paperwork required. There can be many competing demands on your attention during the critical stages of starting your occupation. If you ’ re stressing out about filing official paperwork, you ’ re not focused on design for the business ’ s future — a pretty high monetary value to pay .
- What are the benefits of an LLC in Texas ? LLCs are democratic for several reasons : The majority of our clients choose this structure for their businesses because they appreciate the legal and tax advantages it can provide. If you ’ re uncertain whether to form your Texas commercial enterprise as an LLC, consider the follow benefits :
- LLCs provide legal protection for business owners. By establishing your company as a distinct entity, you separate your assets from your business’s legal liabilities and debt obligations. This “limited liability” in the name refers to this important benefit.
- LLCs protect business owners from “double taxation.” As we’ll discuss in more detail below, LLCs do not pay federal income tax; profits from the LLC are taxed only at the individual owners’ level. A C corporation pays federal income tax at both the business level and the individual shareholders’ level. The IRS takes a slice of your LLC profits just once, not twice.
- LLCs can accommodate more flexible management structures. Corporations are required to maintain specific forms of oversight and management, including appointing a board of directors. LLCs have no such requirements, meaning they can customize their management structures to meet the business’s needs.
- LLCs require less “red tape” than corporations. Most states require corporations to jump through certain hoops, including reporting on the finances of their business, holding an annual board of directors meeting, and fulfilling other administrative obligations. LLCs have far fewer stringent requirements, meaning you’ll spend less time navigating red tape.
- How is a Texas LLC taxed ? LLCs in Texas will need to pay taxes at the submit and federal level ( and sometimes local anesthetic ). With each, there are multiple elements to consider, so we ’ ll address them individually below .
Texas State Taxes
Depending on the nature of the LLC you ’ re starting, your party might be required to pay specific taxes related to the work you do. If you plan to sell goods, you ’ ll need to pay the state of matter ’ s sales and use tax. Plenty of industries have specific taxes in Texas, and city or county governments may besides charge fees or taxes to businesses operating within their jurisdictions .
More broadly speaking, all Texas LLCs are subject to the express ’ s franchise tax. Because Texas has no personal income tax, this is how the state gets at least some money from business owners. All in all, it ’ mho normally a good batch for LLC members compared to what they ’ five hundred face in other states, particularly those with new or fledgling businesses .
here ’ s the first base thing to know about the franchise tax : If your clientele pulls in less than $ 1.18 million in sum tax income for 2020 or 2021, you don ’ t have to pay it. That doorsill is typically adjusted slenderly over time, but smaller LLCs preceptor ’ thyroxine have to worry about it. however, the submit does want you to tell them that you don ’ thymine owe anything for this tax by filing a No Tax Due Report ( Form 05-163 ) and a public Information Report ( Form 05-102 ) every year ( due May 15 ) .
For LLCs with more than that sum of gross, your tax charge will be peer to a percentage of your “ taxable gross profit ” : basically, alone separate of your entire gross will be assessed for tax purposes, and your rate depends on your diligence and how much money you ’ re bring in. The highest possible tax rate is 1 %, and most businesses pay either 0.375 % or 0.75 % of their taxable margins. Your taxable margin may besides differ depending on how you calculate it, indeed occupation owners should seek the lowest possible count .
With union taxes, LLCs can determine which kind of tax entity they ’ d like to be. By default option, LLCs with barely one member are taxed as “ disregarded entities, ” meaning the clientele ’ s tax load is assessed as part of the owner ’ s income tax return .
For LLCs with more than one member, the nonpayment tax entity is a partnership. This means that the individual members must report their gains and losses from the company to the IRS and pay income tax on their share of the business ’ mho profits .
As we noted above, LLCs avoid “ double taxation ” : You entirely pay taxes on profits as personal income, so the occupation itself won ’ thymine owe taxes equally well .
Members of LLCs can besides elect to be taxed as corporations. Some LLC members choose to classify their businesses as S corporations or C corporations, which can be advantageous in some cases .
There are besides a few other forms of federal tax income to keep in mind. For example, you will likely need to pay certain kinds of employment taxes, such as Social Security, Medicare, and unemployment .
even for business entities like LLCs, taxes can get very complicated very fast. Don ’ thyroxine be afraid to seek out a tax professional for guidance .
- What is the march time to form my Texas LLC ? According to the Texas Secretary of State, the standard process time for occupation formation documents is five to seven commercial enterprise days from the day they receive your submission. The representation besides cautions that timelines can fluctuate based on demand and staff capacities, meaning you could wait even longer for your Certificate of Formation to be approved. In our have, requests are often processed in just a couple of business days, but that ’ mho by no means guaranteed. thankfully, you can importantly cut down on your expect time by paying slightly more for expedite process. When you select this choice on-line, the position processes your documents before the near of the future business day — and frequently gets the job done by the following dawn. We can handle the process of expediting your LLC geological formation with our fast file speeds service .
- Do I need to file an operational agreement with the state of Texas ? technically, LLCs formed in Texas do not need to file an operate agreement with the Secretary of State. You won ’ triiodothyronine be asked for one when submitting your certificate of Formation, and you can start doing clientele without an operate agreement. That being said, you should probably make one anyhow. As discussed above, creating an operate on agreement is highly advisable for virtually every kind of LLC, even though Texas does not legally require it. That includes LLCs with merely one member : even if you don ’ t have partners, an operate agreement can be identical advantageous for your business. Plus, with our low-cost template for creating an engage agreement, implementing one for your LLC can be amazingly simple. With the right agreement, you can ensure that you ’ re protected and positioned for achiever .
- What tax structure should I choose for my Texas LLC ? In most states, LLCs are treated as “ pass-through entities, ” meaning their members pay income taxes on the share of profits they receive. But because Texas has no personal income tax, it levies a franchise tax to LLCs and corporations. The franchise tax predominate will apply to your LLC, but it ’ s a much better deal than most states offer. Plus, if your annual tax income is less than $ 1,180,000 in 2020 and 2021, you won ’ metric ton pay any franchise tax on your LLC ’ south earnings. however, at the federal flat, you do have some choices to make associate to your tax status. If you are the entirely penis of your LLC, the IRS will default to treating your LLC as a “ disregarded entity, ” mean you ’ ll pay a personal income tax on the money you earn from the occupation. If you have other members in your LLC, the default option mode of federal tax income is for each penis to pay personal income tax on their parcel of the LLC ’ s profits .
You can besides choose for your LLC to pay federal taxes as a C corporation or an second pot. For owners of some highly profitable LLCs, electing to be taxed as an corporation can be a prudent move, but it ’ second best to seek expert account advice before making this decision .
- Does Texas allow a Series LLC ? In contrast to some states, Texas law does permit the initiation and operation of a Series LLC. For those unfamiliar with this business structure, a Series LLC allows multiple distinct entities ( called series ) to function under the umbrella of a single LLC ( sometimes called the “ master ” or “ rear ” LLC ). Each series can have its own members, managers, assets, and debts. additionally, each series can enter into its own contracts, manoeuver in a discrete fashion, and manage its finances autonomously. possibly most importantly, each series has its own legal liabilities, meaning that if one series is sued, the other series and the master LLC are theoretically shielded from the fallout .
That being said, the Series LLC structure can become quite legally building complex. To enjoy the protections that a Series LLC might provide, the Texas Secretary of State advises seeking adept legal and account guidance .
- Which licenses and permits are required for an LLC in Texas ? different industries require different business licenses. You can visit the Texas Economic Development web site to understand what your business will require at the state level, but remember that license and permitting besides happen at the federal and local level and vary across industries, so you ’ ll necessitate to do some research to find out what your clientele needs .
If all that research sounds daunting, we recommend using our commercial enterprise license report, which will provide you with a comprehensive report of all the licenses and permits required for your Texas LLC .
- Can you change the name of an LLC in Texas ? You can change the legal name of your LLC in Texas at any time ( so farseeing as another business is not using the newly name ). To do so, you ’ ll indigence to file a Certificate of Amendment with the Secretary of State, which you can do through the Texas SOSDirect web site or by mail. The Certificate of Amendment has a filing fee .
If you want to call your business something raw but don ’ metric ton wish much about your LLC ’ s legal name, filing an Assumed Name Certificate will be far more cost-efficient. This form costs a smaller tip to submit and enables your ship’s company to interact with the populace under a different mention than its official one .
- How do I dissolve my LLC in Texas ? To dissolve an LLC in Texas, you ’ ll need to submit a Certificate of Termination to the Secretary of State. This kind can be submitted through the SOSDirect web site or by mail, with an associate tip. however, you can not submit a Certificate of Termination without beginning getting validation that your business ’ second tax obligations are fulfilled in the state of Texas. You ’ ll want to apply for and receive a Certificate of Account Status from the department of state accountant ’ south function before you can formally terminate your business. When terminating your LLC with the Secretary of State, you ’ ll be asked to append this document to your forms .
For more information, visit our Texas business adjournment guide.
Read more: What is a federal tax ID number?
- Can a foreign LLC do business in Texas without registration ? Before conducting any business in Texas a alien LLC must file an application for registration with the Texas Secretary of State .
Ready to get started?
This is it.
Create Your Texas LLC in Minutes
Type your party name