Having your Social Security card lost or stolen may expose you to identity larceny and imposter, lost finances, and damaged accredit. We ’ ve created this steer to help you understand how to quickly replace your Social Security card if it falls into the wrong hands.
What do I do if my Social Security card or number is stolen or lost?
If your Social Security card or count ( SSN ) is lost or stolen, you should immediately contact your local police department and the Social Security Administration ( call toll-free 1-800-772-1213 ) to let them know about the incident. Once you ’ ve done that, there are a few early things that you can do to help mitigate the risks involved with losing your Social Security tease .
How do thieves profit from stolen Social Security cards?
identity thieves can use your SSN to apply for more credit in your name. Of course, the scammers never pay the bills, which can damage your credit, and cause you to get calls from obscure credit demanding payment for items you never bought. They may besides place your Social Security number on the Dark Web to sell to other identity thieves .
How do I replace my lost or stolen Social Security card?
You can replace your Social Security card on-line. According to the Social Security Administration, if “ you ’ re lone requesting a substitution calling card, and no other changes, you can use our complimentary on-line services from anywhere. All you need to do is log in to or create your personal my social Security score. ”
once you receive your replacement card, don ’ triiodothyronine put it in your purse or wallet. Keep it stored securely in a safety lodge box, or at home .
How do I protect my identity if I’ve lost my Social Security card?
There are several things you can do to minimize the risk that your batting order or issue will be used for illicit purposes .
- Order a loose credit report | Review your credit reputation for fishy bodily process as an alert to possible imposter. The federally mandated site AnnualCreditReport.com allows you to order rid reports from all three major credit agency ( Equifax, Experian, or TransUnion ) .
- plaza a imposter alert | A imposter alert notifies creditors to contact you to verify your identity before extending any credit, making it harder for person to open newfangled accounts in your identify. Contact one of the three major credit rating chest of drawers ( Experian, Equifax, or TransUnion ) to place a fraud alert on your credit file .
- Consider a credit freeze | A credit freeze blocks anyone from accessing your citation report . And, while a citation freeze won ’ t stop the majority of
from occurring, it can alert you to fishy bodily process and is an important part of layered protection against identity crime. Unlike imposter alerts, you need to individually add a credit rating freeze at each credit agency.
- Review your fiscal statements | Look over your report for any natural process you did not authorize, such as opening a new citation circuit board. Immediately report deceitful or inaccurate information to creditors .
- Review your earnings statement | Your Social Security Statement is available on-line to workers old age 18 and older. Create an on-line report at
to get your statement .
- Consider an Identity Theft Protection Service | These services ensure that your credit and identity are monitored 24/7 by a team of pros who can besides help you restore your identity if it is stolen. Make certain you understand precisely
how identity theft protection works
before you sign up .
What are the dangers of losing my Social Security card?
Scammers can use your SSN to apply for credit cards or loans in your name, or perpetrate account coup d’etat imposter and steal or access extra personal information. One of the fastest-growing COVID-19-related identity larceny crimes is tax fraud and identity larceny, whereby thieves file a bogus tax return in your name, hoping to snag a refund before you catch on. If your Social Security calling card is stolen, be certain to report the loss to the Internal Revenue Service. Another late COVID-19 victimize that cruelly exploits caper losses involves filing bogus unemployment claims using your SSN, parturition date, name, or address .
even if your Social Security card is not stolen or lost, you need to remain argus-eyed for scammers who call you ( known as a vishing victimize ) claiming there ’ s a problem with your SSN or report and try to get you to divulge personal information. If there ’ s a legalize problem with your number or history, the Social Security Administration will mail you a letter with your Social Security numeral. To learn how to respond to unasked robocalls or calls using caller ID spoof, visit this SSA web page .
Get Top-Rated Identity Theft Protection Today
If you think you ’ ve been victimized after experiencing a lost or stolen Social Security wag, or your social Security number has been exposed by a data gap, we can help you take the steps to protect what matters most. IdentityForce can help monitor your identity and citation while providing you with the latest news and information in identity larceny protection. Our chic SSN Tracker alerts you if an unfamiliar name, alias, or address is associated with your SSN, and our experts will be there to assist you every measure of the way. IdentityForce ’ randomness Identity Vault provides on-line encrypted memory for your significant personally identifiable information ( PII ) including SSNs, citation cards, fiscal report data, and give birth dates, along with other authoritative documents. It besides provides access to online and mobile digital organization and storage of digital copies of important legal and personal documents, aesculapian records, and other items.
We ’ ve built top-rated, innovative capabilities that continue to be named the top-rated identity larceny protection service throughout our industry. additionally, our IdentityForce members receive broad, white-glove restitution services to reduce the damaging effects of all types of fraud, larceny, misapply, and unintended exposure of personal and fiscal data .
Let us show you how IdentityForce can help you manage through a compromise Social Security number incident. Sign up today and save 20% .