FS-2019-4, March 2019
The federal income tax is a pay-as-you-go tax. Taxpayers pay the tax as they earn or receive income during the year. Taxpayers can avoid a surprise at tax time by checking their withholding come. The IRS urges everyone to do a Paycheck Checkup in 2019, even if they did one in 2018. This includes anyone who receives a pension or annuity. here ’ s what to know about withhold and why checking it is important .
Understand tax withholding
An employer generally withholds income tax from their employee ’ s paycheck and pays it to the IRS on their behalf. Wages paid, along with any amounts withheld, are reflected on the Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, the employee receives at the end of the year.
How withholding is determined
The measure withheld depends on :
- The amount of income earned and
- Three types of information an employee gives to their employer on Form W–4, Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate:
- Filing status: Either the single rate or the lower married rate.
- Number of withholding allowances claimed: Each allowance claimed reduces the amount withheld.
- Additional withholding: An employee can request an additional amount to be withheld from each paycheck.
note : Employees must specify a filing status and their number of withholding allowances on Form W–4. They can not specify only a dollar sum of withholding.
Everyone should check withholding
The IRS recommends that everyone do a Paycheck Checkup in 2019. Though specially important for anyone with a 2018 tax bill, it ’ sulfur besides authoritative for anyone whose refund is larger or smaller than expected. By changing withholding tax now, taxpayers can get the refund they want future year. For those who owe, boosting tax withhold in 2019 is the best means to head off a tax bill next year. In accession, taxpayers should always check their withhold when a major life event occurs or when their income changes.
When to check withholding:
- Early in the year
- If the tax law changes
- When life changes occur:
- Lifestyle – Marriage, divorce, birth or adoption of a child, home purchase, retirement, filing chapter 11 bankruptcy
- Wage income – The taxpayer or their spouse starts or stops working or starts or stops a second job
- Taxable income not subject to withholding – Interest, dividends, capital gains, self-employment and gig economy income and IRA (including certain Roth IRA) distributions
- Itemized deductions or tax credits – Medical expenses, taxes, interest expense, gifts to charity, dependent care expenses, education credit, Child Tax Credit, Earned Income Tax Credit
How to check withholding
- Use the Tax Withholding Estimator on IRS.gov.
The Tax Withholding Estimator works for most employees by helping them determine whether they need to give their employer a new Form W-4. They can use their results from the estimator to help fill out the form and adjust their income tax withholding. If they receive pension income, they can use the results from the estimator to complete a Form W-4P, Withholding Certificate for Pension and Annuity Payments PDF, and give it to their payer.
- Use the instructions in Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax.
Taxpayers with more complex situations may need to use Publication 505 instead of the Tax Withholding Estimator. This includes employees who owe, the alternative minimum tax or tax on unearned income from dependents. It can also help those who receive non-wage income such as dividends, capital gains, rents and royalties. The publication includes worksheets and examples to guide taxpayers through these special situations.
To change their tax withholding, employees can use the results from the Tax Withholding Estimator to determine if they should complete a newly Form W-4 and put in to their employer. Don ’ triiodothyronine file with the IRS .
Those who don ’ thymine pay taxes through withholding, or don ’ metric ton wage enough tax that means, may still use the Tax Withholding Estimator to determine if they have to pay estimated tax quarterly during the year to the IRS. Those who are freelance generally pay tax this room. See form 1040-ES, Estimated Taxes for Individuals, for details .